I’m always trying to create new and delish pre and post-workout Boat Snacks and this one does not disappoint! If you’re like most of my clients and have an air fryer, these can be made in a snap!
The sweet potato is packed full of gut-healthy fiber, vitamin A, and slow-metabolizing carbohydrates that won’t spike blood sugars. Sweet potatoes are a great alternative to white potatoes for those who are looking to minimize blood sugar spikes and boost their daily fiber intake.
Including carbohydrates in your pre-post workout snack is an important component because carbs are protein-sparring. Meaning, the body can use the carbs for energy rather than breaking down proteins and converting them into glucose, through a process called (get ready for it) gluconeogenesis. This way protein can fulfill its duties in the body! I’d much rather have protein help support my muscle recovery and growth, wouldn’t you?
The peanut butter bumps up the protein content in this snack. If you’re an almond butter fan, this could easily substituted and would only boost fiber content further. My fiance Travis can’t do tree nuts so we have PB in the house, which is just as delicious in my opinion!
Adding banana gives a subtle sweetness and adds fiber, potassium, vitamin b6 and a variety of phytonutrients. Plus, the PB/banana combo is one made in heaven! I topped them with delish manuka honey, which is full of nutrients, antioxidants & anti-bacterial properties! Manuka honey ha even been studied for its beneficial effects on gut infections such as C. Diff and H.Pylori, which are known to cause ulcers and acid reflux!
For the final touch, a sprinkle of hemp hearts adds additional protein and heart healthy fats!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into length-wise, roasted or air fried with avocado oil
- 2-3 TBSP nut butter of choice
- 1 ripe banana sliced at an angle
- 1 tsp manuka honey (I used Manukora raw honey)
- 2-3 tsp hemp hearts
- Start with your cooled sweet potato boat and add nut butter of choice.
- Top with slices of banana, honey and hemp hearts.
- Enjoy right away or store in air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- #snacks #sweetpotato #sweetpotatosnacks #preworkoutsnack #postworkoutsnack #healthysnacks #snackrecipes #guthealthy #guthealing #guthealthysnacks #workout #fitness #nutrition #nutritious #manukahoney #dietitianapproved #nutritionist #diabetesfriendlysnacks #hearthealthysnacks #lowcholesterolsnacks #healthysnackrecipes #manukorahoney