Black Bean Salad (vegan & GF)
If you’re a cilantro fan you’ll definitely want to save this recipe!
This black bean salad with pepita cilantro dressing was inspired by the delicious flavors of Mexican cuisine.
Travis and I are HUGE fans of Latin food, particularly food originating from Mexico.
Living in SoCal, we are fortunate enough to have amazing restaurants at our doorstep but we definitely don’t miss the opportunity to take a drive down to Ensenada or quick to Cabo to enjoy their incredible flavors
This salad combines plant based protein from the beans with prebiotic fiber from the jicama.
Prebiotics are fuel for the good microbes that live in our gut microbiome. When they are fed what they like, they can flourish and produce compounds that keep us feeling well
Enjoy this salad this week for Cinco De Mayo or for a yummy meatless Monday dinner
Yields: 8-10 servings (dressing), 1 serving salad
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful cilantro (with stems)
- 1/4th serrano chili (with seeds)
- 1/4th cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups organic mixed greens
- 1/4th cup jicima
- 1/4th cup tomato
- 1/4th cup cucumbers
- 1/4th cup rice
- 1/2 avocado
- pepitas & cilantro to garnish
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- Blend all dressing ingredients in a high power blender until smooth.
- Heat avocado oil and saute black beans and season with cumin, salt and pepper for 2 minutes then cool.
- Arrange salad ingredients then top with dressing and garnish with peptias and cilantro.