I grew up loving the chicken tortilla soup from El Torito in the Valley and haven’t stopped missing those delish flavors!
I recreated the dish by adding fiber-rich ingredients like black beans and high-protein bone broth with collagen. For More Recipes Visit Our Origin Nutrition Website.
The fiber found in foods like beans contains bioactive compounds that have been studied for their health benefits! Researchers have linked dietary fiber intake to reduced cholesterol, weight loss and improved digestion.
Not only that, but a combination of protein and fiber in a meal is a perfect pairing to promote feelings of fullness and regulate blood sugar levels throughout the day.
The toppings added to boost the nutritional value of the soup by boosting heart-healthy fats and immune-boosting vitamin C along with other micronutrients.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Yields: 5-6 servings
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (2-3 chicken breasts)
- 4 cups Kettle & Fire chicken broth (use code KA365569 for 25% off)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned enchilada sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can whole tomatoes, mashed with a spoon (use a small bit of water to get sauce stuck to the can as well)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder and 1 teaspoon wild mountain cumin threads
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more depending on spice preference)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings (optional): avocado, serrano chili, cilantro, and tortilla strips (see recipe below)
- 3 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- Avocado oil spray
- salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste
- In an instapot or pressure cooker, add all soup ingredients, with chicken being last. Cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Let sit in a “keep warm” setting for 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred using 2 forks. Add back to soup.
- To make tortilla strips, spray avocado oil evenly on tortilla strips until evenly coated. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder.
- When ready to serve add soup to bowls and add desired toppings. Enjoy!